Characterize the Hydrogeomorphology and Thermal Patterns of the Lower Williamson R Below Confluence w Sprague R & Tribs to Support Habitat Restoration & Anadromous Salmonid Reintroduction

Salmonid Restoration Planning and Assessments

Salmonid Habitat Assessment / Inventory
Project IDKLAMATH-2015-2
Recovery Domains -
Start Date08/01/2017
End Date09/30/2017
Last Edited05/08/2024
1 - 1


The actual work performed consisted of a longitudinal depth, temperature, and DO survey of the Williamson River from its mouth at Upper Klamath Lake to the confluence of the Sprague and Williamson Rivers. Thalweg depth profiles were taken using either an ACDP from a boat or using handheld sounding devices when kayaks were more amenable to the conditions. The goal of the survey was to identify thermal and oxygen refugia during late when Chinook Salmon adults or smolts may have the most difficulty migrating through the Lower Williamson River. The project cost was 15% of the the projected budget. The remaining 85% of the funds were repurposed with PCSRF approval for habitat improvement projects that would directly benefit the salmon populations following Klamath dam removal efforts.

Project Benefit    

1. Explore and evaluate hydrogeomorphic habitat types in the Lower Williamson River: Unlike typical gravel bed salmon streams, the Lower Williamson River and its tributaries have low gradients, a simplified plan form and a fine grained bed. Field reconnaissance will focus on sediment characterization, habitat unit mapping, channel health, migration impediments, riparian vegetation, and sources of habitat impairment. Detailed study sites will be established in representative reaches to assess geomorphic conditions such as channel plan form, longitudinal profile, grain size distribution and sediment transport dynamics.
2. Characterize thermal patterns and variability in Lower Williamson River and its tributaries: Positive relationships between suitable spawning and rearing areas and appropriate temperature ranges for egg incubation, hatching, and juvenile rearing are important considerations for re-introduction of anadromous salmonids. This part of the project will characterize thermal habitat patterns and variability of the Lower Williamson River. Several thermographs will be deployed to develop a long-term record of water temperature with special attention focused on defining areas of thermal variability and upwelling. The project will also utilize Thermal Infared Radiometry (TIR) data collected for the Lower Williamson River basin in the summer of 2013 to characterize large scale thermal conditions, patterns, and to identify suitable thermal habitat.
3. Accurately describe the geomorphic setting and processes to evaluate the potential for habitat restoration projects: Data collected in the field along with remote sensing datasets will be analyzed to better describe the geomorphic setting and identify key processes driving channel dynamics. This information can help identify reaches that are not functioning properly and may need restoration actions. Existing restoration projects will be identified and discussed within the geomorphic context. This project is a continuation of a PCSRF funded tribal program to carefully assess UKB streams for current and potential salmonid habitat. The data collected during this project have been and will continue to be an essential precursor to implementing re-introduction efforts and prioritizing salmonid habitat restoration actions identified in the KBRA.


Metric Completed Originally
Planning and Assessment
  Stream Miles Assessed 20.00 20.00

Funding Details

Report Total:$20,591

Project Map


lower Williamson River    

  • Worksite Identifier: lower Williamson River
  • Start Date: 10/03/2016
  • End Date: 09/30/2017
Area Description
lower Williamson River from Upper Klamath Lake upstream to Sprague River

Location Information

  • Basin: Klamath (180102)
  • Subbasin:
  • Watershed:
  • Subwatershed: 180102010605
  • State: Oregon
  • Recovery Domain:
  • Latitude: 42.571529731
  • Longitude: -121.87646538


  • Upper Klamath / Trinity Rivers Chinook Salmon ESU




  • B.0 Salmonid Restoration Planning and AssessmentsY (Y/N)
    •      . . B.0.a Planning And Assessment Funding 20,591.00
    •      . . B.0.b.1 Area Encompassed 187.0
    •      . . B.2 Salmonid Habitat Assessment / InventoryY (Y/N)
      •      . . . . B.2.a Habitat Assessment Funding 20,591.00
      •      . . . . B.2.c Instream SurveyY (Y/N)
        •      . . . . . . B.2.c.1 Type of instream survey (LOV)
        •      . . . . . . B.2.c.2 Stream miles assessed 20.00
        •      . . . . . . B.2.c.3 Stream miles assessed that contained salmonids .00
        •      . . . . . . B.2.c.4 Stream miles assessed that needed restoration 20.00
        •      . . . . . . B.2.c.5 Stream miles assessed for regulatory actions .00
        •      . . . . . . B.2.c.6 Fish passage impediments identified 0