Cedar Creek Restoration Design - Six Rivers National Forest
Salmonid Restoration Planning and Assessments
|N CA - S Oregon|
Objective: Improve habitat and passage in the lower reaches of Cedar Creek for the benefit of SONCC and Chinook salmon.
Project Description: This is a restoration project that Hoopa has been working towards in coordination with Six Rivers Forest Staff for three years. It was explicitly included in the forests Programmatic EIS in anticipation of a joint project. Hoopa is actively applying for other funds to get this project designed. If awarded in both locations these funds will be used for implementation rather than design.
HVT staff will collect existing site data, including identifying and locating remnant structures/debris, and conducting substrate mapping, vegetation surveys, longitudinal profiles, water surface profiles, thalweg profile, and geomorphology assessments.
The habitat improvements which could be included in the restoration design will be based on features which have proven successful in other projects designed and implemented by the Hoopa Tribal fisheries department such as large wood habitat features, roughened channel segments, engineered log jams, lowered floodplains, riparian plantings, BDA’s and channel realignment.
Work will include:
1. Complete all required surveys for existing site investigation and designs.
2. Expand site survey control.
3. Field surveys to identify existing structure locations and map cross sectional area, and extent of debris at each previous structure location.
4. Substrate composition survey at each project location.
5. Vegetation survey, including special status plants.
6. Establish pre-project photo points and take baseline photographs.
7. Assess channel hydraulics at each site under existing site conditions.
8. Evaluate trail upgrades needed prior to construction activities and/or post-project.
Once the design is complete all design related reporting, including: draft basis of design report prepared to coincide with the 30% to 65% designs, and the final basis of design report prepared along with the 90% and 100% designs. The draft and final basis of design report will incorporate comments received from CDFW, US Forest Service and other partner agencies, and updated to reflect current designs and analyses (i.e. 30%, 65%, 90%, and 100%).
Initial basis of design report major components include:
1. Project background, site description, need for project, goals and objectives.
2. Summary of existing site data collected (longitudinal profiles and cross sections, topography, site control, substrate composition, extent of debris, access and staging).
3. Summary of vegetation survey, including special status plants.
4. Hydrology and geomorphic setting.
5. Initial photo points and photo log.
6. Hydraulic assessment summary of existing conditions.
7. Conceptual design alternatives.
8. Description of project designs and design analyses by project area.
9. Water diversion and management plan.
10. Fish rescue plan.
11. Weed abatement plan.
12. Materials schedule and sources.
13. Engineers cost estimate.
This Project benefits SONC Coho Salmon and Chinook salmon a species needed for Tribal treaty fishing rights. SONCC in the lower Trinity River are identified in the Recovery Plan as being at high risk of extinction. Restoration of tributary habitat for both natal and non-natal SONCC is therefore of great importance. This project improves stream function and increases the amount of high-quality habitat available for juvenile salmonids.
|Planning and Assessment
| Stream Miles Assessed
No Funding data has been entered for this project.
- Worksite Identifier: Cedar Creek
- Start Date: 05/01/2023
- End Date: 10/31/2023
Work will occur in to lower 3.4 km of Cedar Creek just before its confluence with Horse Linto Creek.
- Basin: Klamath
- State: California
- Recovery Domain: N CA - S Oregon
- Latitude: 41.005595
- Longitude: -123.60009
- Upper Klamath / Trinity Rivers Chinook Salmon ESU
- Southern Oregon/Northern California Coast Coho Salmon ESU
- Klamath Mountains Province Steelhead DPS
Salmonid Restoration Planning and AssessmentsY (Y/N)
- . . B.0.a
Planning And Assessment Funding .00
- . . B.0.b.1
- . . B.0.b.2
Stream Miles Affected
- . . B.1
Restoration Planning And CoordinationY (Y/N)
- . . . . B.1.a
Planning and Coordination funding
- . . . . B.1.b.11
Engineering/design work for restoration projectsY (Y/N)
- . . . . . . B.1.b.11.a
- . . . . . . B.1.b.11.b
|Description and scope of the plan implemented||
- . . B.2
Salmonid Habitat Assessment / InventoryY (Y/N)
- . . . . B.2.a
Habitat Assessment Funding
- . . . . B.2.c
Instream SurveyY (Y/N)
- . . . . . . B.2.c.1
Type of instream survey (LOV)
- . . . . . . B.2.c.2
Stream miles assessed
- . . . . . . B.2.c.3
Stream miles assessed that contained salmonids
- . . . . . . B.2.c.4
Stream miles assessed that needed restoration