Waite Ranch Floodplain Connectivity and Riparian Restoration Initiative
Salmonid Habitat Restoration and Acquisition
|Waite Ranch Phase I|
This project successfully completed the necessary permitting and 60% designs for Phase I and Phase II of the project, and started implementation of the Phase II construction of a setback levee.
A slope stability analysis and Erosion and Sediment Control Plan were finished for the import and stockpiling of 7,000 cubic yards of fill material to be used in setback levee construction. A Department of Environmental Quality 1200-C permit and Lane County Land Use Compatibility [permit were approved by the agencies. Improvements were made onsite to accommodate trucking, and 7,000 cubic yards of material was successfully imported and stockpiled at Waite Ranch.
The project completed the 60% revised designs, including revised hydraulic modelling, conceptual design revisions, limited alternative analysis for the setback levee and geotechnical engineering. The project prepared a tide gate design and coordinated with state and federal wildlife agencies. Coordination was done with Oregon Department of Transportation in order to avoid settlement and erosion of the Highway OR-126 road embankment.
The metric entered for Fill Placement was related to the import and stockpiling of 7,000 cubic yards for construction of the setback levee described in the Basis of Design Report -- 60% Stage.
CTCLUSI will work with collaborative partners (McKenzie River Trust and the Siuslaw Watershed Council) to undertake a restoration project in the Lower Siuslaw River estuary where coho fisheries were culturally and historically important to the Tribe. This specific element of the project addresses habitat complexity including connected floodplain habitat, water quality, and hydraulic connectivity (flood water storage). The objectives of this proposal are to (1) improve habitat complexity including connected floodplain habitat, (2) improve water quality, (3) improve hydraulic connectivity including flood water storage, and 4) expand organizational capacity and capability. To measure the effectiveness of this project, the Tribes Restoration Projects Manager will coordinate, collect, and compile relevant data gathered by the Tribe and/or the collaborative partners on this project.
• Habitat Complexity Improvements: Lineal feet of secondary channel developed, and lineal feet of ditches removed/filled in, acres planted, juvenile survey data.
• Enhancements to Water Quality: Habitat assessments, water temperature, dissolved oxygen, and juvenile survey data.
• Floodplain and Hydraulic Reconnection: Acres of land where tidal hydrology is restored, which will include acres restored to estuarine intertidal aquatic beds (mudflats), emergent marsh (tidal marsh) and intertidal scrub-shrub habitat.
• Enhancements of Tribal Capacity: Number of site visits to the restoration site, number of hours of direct restoration participation, number of training sessions participated in, number of collaborative meetings attended, hours of outreach restoration sites, and evaluation criteria templates developed.
| Acres Created
| Acres Treated
- Worksite Identifier: Waite Ranch
- Start Date: 10/01/2018
- End Date: 06/30/2022
Lower Siuslaw River Estuary
- Basin: Northern Oregon Coastal
- Subwatershed: 171002060804
- State: Oregon
- Recovery Domain: Oregon Coast
- Latitude: 43.991384449
- Longitude: -124.027907661
- Oregon Coast Coho Salmon ESU
- Oregon Coast Chinook Salmon ESU
- Oregon Coast Steelhead DPS
- Pacific Coast Chum Salmon ESU
Salmonid Habitat Restoration and AcquisitionY (Y/N)
- . . C.0.a
Habitat restoration and acquisition funding 567,246.00
- . . C.0.b
Length of stream treated/protected .00
- . . C.0.c
|Project identified in a Plan or Watershed Assessment||
|Siuslaw Coho Partnership, 2018, Strategic Action Plan for Coho Salmon Recovery - The Siuslaw River, www.siuslaw.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Siuslaw-SAP-Coho-Salmon-Recovery.pdf|
- . . C.0.d.1
Project Monitoring (LOV)
- . . C.0.d.2
Monitoring Location (LOV)
- . . C.9
Estuarine/Nearshore ProjectY (Y/N)
- . . . . C.9.a
Estuarine/nearshore funding 567,246.00
- . . . . C.9.b
Total amount of estuarine/nearshore area treated .0
- . . . . C.9.h.1
Fill placementY (Y/N)
- . . . . . . C.9.h.2
Acres of estuary treated .1